A 1-Day Mini-Course w/ Ethan and Special Guest Amanda Miller
I partnered with Amanda Miller—author of the Paying For College in Four Steps resource—to offer this one-day mini-course.
This three-hour professional development workshop will deliver knowledge you can use immediately in your conversations with students and their families, particularly the class of 2023 as they begin building their college lists and the class of 2024 as they choose among the many wonderful offers you’ve helped guide them to.
Over three hours, we cover:
- Typical financial profile for the 5 colleges types (and how to find out if a school is atypical)
- How the FAFSA is changing and who will be impacted most
- How to convince your students to cut down on “just in case” applications without being “mean”
- Bullet points for the “where do I find scholarships” conversation that quickly set students up with a reasonable action plan
- Answers to the common questions I’m asked even by the most seasoned counselors (like “What about divorced parents?” and “What financial aid opportunities exist for my undocumented/DACA students?” )
- How to preclude having the spring-time “you can’t afford any of these colleges” conversation ever again
- How to assess a student’s financial aid profile and get them the resources they need in under 15 minutes
- A ready-made handout for students to decode award letters
- Best practices to empower families to make informed financial aid choices… even before award letters are released
- Lots more