A workshop led by Marie Bigham and Dr. Ashley L. Bennet, leaders of ACCEPT: Admissions Community Cultivating Equity & Peace Today
Have you ever…
- Written a recommendation letter for a student from a historically excluded group?
- Received feedback that suggests you could benefit from DEI and/or cultural competency training?
- Thought about how you can be a stronger advocate for students from historically excluded groups?
- Thought about your biases and how they show up in your work?
Our workshop is led by Marie Bigham and Dr. Ashley L. Bennett, leaders of ACCEPT: Admissions Community Cultivating Equity & Peace Today. Marie and Ashley have more than 40 combined years of experience in the college access space, both having served as college admissions officers and college counselors in high schools.
In this 1 hour workshop, we covered:
- How to identify your biases (we all have them) in a way that serves prospective students.
- How to read recommendation letters while applying a lens rooted in equity.
- How to identify stereotypical language that is used to describe students from historically excluded groups.
- How to use information you read in recommendation letters to advocate for prospective students.